Sunday, August 5, 2012

La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soup, Lower Calorie~Same GREAT Taste!

I LOVE La Madeleine's Tomato Basil soup so much!  I could have a small bowl every day with half a sandwich!  It is so fresh tasting, and satisfying, but is high in calories, due to the heavy cream and butter.  I decided to see how it would taste if I made it with 1/2 and 1/2 instead, and cut the amount of butter.  WELL, I was so very happily surprised that it tasted amazing, and I didn't miss a thing, but more calories!  It tasted exactly the same!  All my boys and my husband agreed!  YEA!!  Here's the easy recipe~


                                        La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soup, Lower Cal~



4 Cups canned crushed tomatoes
15 Fresh Basil leaves
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 (or heavy cream, if you wish)
6 Tbsp sweet, unsalted butter (or 1 stick, if you prefer)
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
Salt, to taste
1 tsp sugar~ to taste



Simmer tomatoes with basil leaves for 30 minutes.  Using a blender stick, blend simmering tomato and basils till very well blended.  (if you do not have a blender stick, simply ladle sauce into food processor, then return to pot).  Add the salt, pepper, 1/2 and 1/2 and butter.  Let it warm fully~


Serve with fresh basil leaves, some good crusty bread, or a yummy sandwich!  SOOOO  Great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment