Monday, February 18, 2013

Great Grandma's Chicken and Rice!

I love this old family recipe for Chicken and rice!  So yummy and simple!  I whipped it up, threw it in the oven, and sat on my deck by the fire pit, til it was done!~  Watched the sun go down, sipping on a glass of Cabernet!!  Doesn't get much better than this!  I get to relax, while the recipe bakes up, and when the timer goes off~ all my boys get fed!!  :)

Great Grandma's Chicken and Rice!
Dig in!!
10-16 skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
8-10 bay leaves
1 pound petite whole green beans, thawed
2- 4 oz. cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1 stick of butter, cut into slices
2 cups uncooked basmati and wild rice mix~Tilda brand best
4 cups chicken broth, I like to use Knorr's powdered chicken bouillon so 4 Tbsp into the 4 cups
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 well rounded tsp marjoram
3 tsp tarragon
1 1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 well rounded tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground all spice
5 dashes red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt, if needed at end of cooking

After you chop up veggies, put the olive oil in bottom of dutch oven, followed by half the chicken. Top with half the celery, mushrooms, onion, butter, and bay leaves. (bay leaves not in pic) lightly salt and pepper.  Repeat with another layer!  Cover, and put into preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
While chicken is in oven, make up the broth and seasonings.  I put them all into the chicken broth, so the flavors incorporate well.
After the 45 minutes are done, add rice, green beans, and chicken stock with all the seasonings in it!  Stir well, to get all rice under liquid! Cover and bake for another 45 minutes!
I like to have a small bit of broth left in dish when I pull it out of oven.  As long as rice is cooked, the bit of extra broth is a nice addition! The rice is usually cooked perfectly!  :) (pic has peas in it, because I had some handy, but usually I do not put them into recipe)  Check the flavor for salt, and add some if you feel the need.  The flavor of my great grandma's chicken and rice recipe is SO unique and GOOD!  Hope y'all love it too!!  Blessings~

No comments:

Post a Comment